Posted by: neblinoso | January 21, 2010

Clark Air Base

Our last stop near Subic Bay last Saturday was the former Clark Air Force Base.  We stopped at a park with old planes scattered throughout, only spending enough time to take a few quick pictures…and see if one of the propellers was still movable.  It was.  🙂

The museum was just closing when we pulled up, but they stayed open for us.  It was a small building featuring historical relics of the Aeta people, war propaganda and memorabilia, and other artifacts from WW2.  One of the most interesting things at the museum for me were the Japanese flyers on signing up to be a kamikaze pilot. 

My grandfather spent some time in the Philippines during the war.  According to my dad he had something to do with setting up communications.  I can’t  remember exactly what he did or if he was stationed elsewhere.  Maybe Dad will post a comment reminding me…hint hint. 

On our way back to Manila, we made a stop at Nathaniel’s, a bakery in the area well-known for its buco pandan.  I have yet to taste this delight, but i believe it is made from coconut.  I picked up some coconut tarts and when i tasted one, i got back in line for another package.  I’m not a fan of coconut, but all the coconut foods i’ve had here have been delicious.  It doesn’t have the same taste or consistency of coconut back in the States.

The drive home wasn’t too trafiicky and only took us around an hour and a half.  We had an excellent driver, Loy, who knew some pretty snazzy shortcuts, one of which involved cutting through a hotel parking garage for only one peso!  I had the entire back seat to myself, so i stretched out and napped part of the way until i began to recognize the city scape of Manila.



  1. The buco pandan is still in my freezer…and there is plenty for you when you want to try some!

    • yay! save me a spoonful. 😛

  2. You Grandpa, my dad, Lieutenant Commander Robert C. Perrett was stationed at several strategic WWII bases in the Philippines area. His team charge was to setup and provide the radio communications for the air and troop bases as they were liberated and provisioned for US utilizations. Aircraft traffic arriving and departing the area, as well as point-to-point routing control networks, and base-to-base communications were his strategic priorities. For one large operation, he and his team actually had to stage and test a particularly large antenna installation in the Nevada desert, stateside, and then transport it to and reassemble the installation in the Philippine theater, when US Forces were in full control. Grandpa never had to engage in actual combat battle actions, but his post liberation service sequence effectively facilitated the efforts of many. We don’t have many pictures, but he had a personal Jeep and did pose for a leaning on the fender and smiling picture – with the crapper latrine in the back ground. Dad never wanted to discuss much about his activities, but did say he checked his shoes each morning for deadly spiders.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s


%d bloggers like this: